Wednesday, October 18, 2006



MEXICAN, CHICANO, MEXICAN-AMERICAN, or frijolero?

During one of my excursions to a favorite bookstore of mine I began to read an employment application that was left on one of the reading chairs. Nothing too exciting, just your traditional application. However, if it were me filling it out I probably would get stuck on question 10 section 4.....you know, the part where they ask you to fill in your ethnicity. Now....here comes the bitching minority act. Hispanic is not an ethnicity! There is no Hispania. Latino-I sure as hell don't speak Latin. No offense Jeff. I guess that my beef is really with Chicano and Mex-Amer. To many it's the same thing. But to Tex-Mex Republican's like ohhh what the hell is his name... Alberto Gonzalez, its American not Mex-Amer. Chicano is some how or another a "militant" term according to some frijoleros (beaners). Cool!
I consider myself Mexican, how? Because I took the you know you're a Mexican if...
1) you call your shoes "tenis"
2) you're constantly asked if you own a lowrider
3) you go to a social event and ask "where are the tortillas"?
4) your parents have calenders from every Mexican bakery
5) you get constantly asked what's the best way to grow tomatoes, strawberries, etc
6) you think it takes 15min to get everywhere
7) you constantly use "basically"
8) you have an aunt named Chela and uncle named Chepe
9) as a student your response to every question is Zapata Rocks cabrones!!!!!!
That's why I'm Mexican.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home